Monday 13 May 2013

Big trouble in little Laos

So my visions of at least a month as a lady of leisure ended quite abruptly just one week into Lao life when I got a job! Woah! It's a freelance gig that a friend from my old job (at FORM) hooked me up with, working with an advertising firm in the US (!) assisting them with social media coverage and monitoring. It's interesting and I'm really enjoying it and learning a lot - feeling very international as the team I'm working with spans from the US to Europe and then to me in Asia. I've been working seven days a week and will be for the next month... wait, wasn't I meant to not do that over here? Oh yeahhh.

Tom has also settled into work at his site. He's on the same shift as he was Perth-Port Hedland so home each weekend and every second Thursday, so it hasn't been much of an adjustment. Something that's a little different from the usual FIFO schtick is he now flies to site in a war-era Russian helicopter. A big change from the business class upgrades on Qantas that he's accustomed to and according to him "totally not as exciting as it sounds". I may have added the 'totally' to that.

The only downside of my awesome work opportunity is that I haven't been able to get out much during the day to explore our new city so I've mostly been wandering around at dusk and into the evenings, jumping in the odd tuk-tuk when I can't find my way back to the apartment. We are staying close to the little Chinatown area which by day has the best fake dvd shop, what seems like thousands of fresh juice and ice coffee stalls, the most delicious pho I've ever tasted and Home Ideal which is the closest thing to a department store in Vientiane. You can buy bizarre Asian groceries there including pre-cooked eggs in vacuum packed bags (ew) but also Tim Tams and fake designer bags, and they alternate hardcore swear-rap with honky-tonk country music over the PA. It's a trip.

Home Ideal. It's a sale biatch, whut whut!
By night the area offers plenty in the way of bustling street food stalls and late-night street snacks as workers knock-off shift and join their families or partners for dinner. Most of these eateries seem very much in the spirit of get-in-eat-get-out, so we get a few weird looks from the staff when we hang around talking, taking our time with our food, ordering more Beer Lao, inspecting the hundreds of bottles of condiments on our table and admiring the interesting decor choices of our surrounds.

Assorted condiments!
In a lot of the restaurants we've been to my favourite aesthetic feature has been the bounty of plastic fruits and vegetables cascading from walls and hanging pots - it must have been a good harvest that year. As I plan how we can potentially work masses of faux vegetation into our new home (and Tom dies a little inside) I'm pretty sure the restaurant owners are thinking 'Why are these whiteys so obsessed with those fake corn cobs - just eat, pay and leave people!!'.

Actually, Lao nationals have a word for whiteys/expats/westerners and it's 'falang'. We are falangs. Yes. And this is totally us now.

I also liked this painting of running horses in one of the restaurants we went to. It was the only painting on the wall in the whole place... which makes me think it might be covering a gaping hole going through to the shop next door.

Running horse motif.

I should note that we foolishly packed our camera cord with our items that are being shipped. I also can't find anywhere that will develop film, it seems you can buy film readily enough but not develop it. Hmmm. So until then iPhone photos will have to do!

I also figured out how to add a link to some of my Instagram photos below (proud!), so you can see more pictures there.




3 comments:

  1. I did a bit of a google for you and apparently there is a place: "end of Rue Saylom next to a green Fuji film shop"?
    Hope that is helpful. Your job sounds exciting but I hope you get some more adventure time soon!
    Nat B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! Thanks Nat!! I thought I had tried every green Fuji shop out there!

      Delete
    2. No worries! Good luck. I would be sad if you missed out on shooting film. It that fails, I know there are definitely places in Vietnam next door ;)

      Delete